Monday 23 May 2011

Try It Out Vietnamese Restaurant, Otahuhu

Do you love vietnamese noodles? Well let me tell you the best vietnamese noodles are in Otahuhu at the Vietnam Cafe. Unfortunately this post isn't about the amazing Vietnam Cafe. It was a Sunday afternoon and we were on our way to Vietnam Cafe. However to get there we had to pass by Try It Out Vietnamese restaurant. Josh had eaten there before with a few others and they quite liked it so we decided to 'try it out' (mind the pun).

I'm just going to get right to it. Service was terrible. Now I know that you can't expect to get 5 star service at a two and a half star restaurant. However I have always felt there are limitations to what you do. The waiter did not understand or speak english very well. And while taking our order, like literally we were telling him what we wanted, his phone rang and he picked it up, spoke for longer than needed and then finally hung up. He looked at us as if it was the most normal thing to do. And he did the exact same thing with other customers. I almost wondered if it was a joke.

Anyway we let it pass because we were there for the food, not for the service. The food came and it looked great. Andrew had a spicy chicken dish and it was amazing! It was just amazing! Daphne had a vegetable and prawn dish which was completely normal and I had the fish ball with rice noodles soup. I did not finish my dish. I don't think I even went through half of it. It was sooo incredibly salty and they put so much msg (monosodium glutamate) that I couldn't stop drinking water. For those of you who do not know what MSG is, it is some sort of preservative which is very bad for you but makes food taste really good. However it makes your mouth become dry and sort of feel like a desert. After eating only half of it, I stopped but continued drinking water like a camel for the rest of the day. My stomach also felt funny. I had to apologize to my organs. Turns out that there was also huge amounts of MSG in the chicken and every other dish.

So yes that was a pretty bad experience. Bad food and bad service. I'm never going back there again. But for those of you who really crave vietnamese food, go to Vietnam Cafe which is right opposite the road from Try It Out. I guarantee you will have a party in your mouth. We drive all the way over from our home in Epsom just to eat it and it's worth it especially on a rainy day.



My rating: 2/5

Try It Out Restaurant:

79 Atkinson Ave
Otahuhu
Auckland City
09-276 9339

No comments:

Post a Comment